ICT Skillnet is pleased to announce its affiliation with Cisco Networking Academy, the globally recognised IT skills and career-building programme.
As an affiliated partner, ICT Skillnet offers eligible applicants the opportunity to access a range of online courses completely FREE. These courses can be taken at your own pace, making them suitable for any stage of your career journey. Upon successfully completing a course, you will receive a branded Cisco Certificate of Completion.
Since 1997, Cisco Networking Academy has empowered over 9 million individuals, transforming them into catalysts for change in the global economy.
- Introduction to Cybersecurity
- Cybersecurity Essentials
- Introduction to IoT and Digital Transformation
- Linux Unhatched
- Linux Essentials
- Get Connected
- Programming Essentials in Python
To be eligible, you must currently be a resident in the Republic of Ireland.
These courses are available for both employed and unemployed individuals who meet the residency criteria.
How to Apply
1. Review the individual course outlines by expanding a course title from the sections below. +
2. Choose the appropriate application option (“Employed: Apply Now” or “Jobseeker: Apply Now”) on your selected course and complete the form.
Please note: Each course requires a separate application but you can apply for multiple courses.
3. Applications are reviewed on a weekly basis, and eligibility assessed.
4. Once your application has been reviewed, ICT Skillnet will contact you via email with further information on how to access your learning.
Course: Introduction to Cybersecurity
Duration: 15 hours
Audience: The introductory course for those who want to explore the world of cybersecurity.
With billions of devices now online, new threats pop-up every second. Today’s interconnected world makes everyone more susceptible to cyber-attacks.
Whether you’re attracted to the relatively new world of cybersecurity as a professional, or just interested in protecting yourself online and in social media, this introductory course is the answer. It explores cyber trends, threats—along with the broader topic of cybersecurity in a way that will matter to YOU. For instance, you’ll learn how to protect your personal privacy online while gaining additional insight on the challenges companies, and governmental and educational institutions face today. You’ll also earn a Networking Academy badge for completing this course.
- Learn what cybersecurity is and its potential impact to you.
- Understand the most common threats, attacks and vulnerabilities.
- Gain insights for how businesses protect their operations from attacks.
- Find the latest job trends and why cybersecurity continues to grow.
Course: Cybersecurity Essentials
Duration: 30 hours
Audience: For those planning to study for CCNA Routing & Switching or CCNA Security certifications.
Learn the basics needed to fight cybercrime. A single breach can have huge consequences for a company’s ability to function, hurting the bottom line and causing disruption in the daily lives of millions of people. This is why the demand for security professionals continues to grow.
Get onboard—and develop an understanding of cybercrime, security principles, technologies, and procedures used to defend networks. Then decide whether you want to pursue an entry-level networking or security role professionally.
Recommended for students planning to study for the CCNA or CyberOps Associate Certifications.
Prerequisite: Introduction to Cybersecurity or equivalent knowledge recommended.
- Understand security controls for networks, servers and applications.
- Learn valuable security principals and how to develop compliant policies.
- Implement proper procedures for data confidentiality and availability.
- Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills using real equipment and Cisco Packet Tracer.
Course: Introduction to IoT and Digital Transformation
Duration: 6 hours
Audience: For those looking to start their IoT learning journey here.
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a fast-growing area of technology, with new companies, products, and job opportunities springing up all over the world.
Discover how IoT, along with emerging technologies such as data analytics and artificial intelligence and cybersecurity, are digitally transforming industries and expanding career opportunities. Invest in learning IoT skills and you can transform any business in any industry, from manufacturing to environmental conservation. Today over 26 billion people, systems, and physical objects are connected and share data seamlessly over the Internet – and it’s rapidly changing our world. Learn the IoT skills you will need to land a well-paying job in this exciting field.
- Learn how the current digital transformation is creating unprecedented economic opportunity.
- Understand how the IoT is bridging the gap between operational and information technology systems.
- Discover how standard business processes are being transformed.
- The security concerns that must be considered when implementing IoT solutions.
Course: Linux Unhatched
Duration: 8 hours
Audience: The “start from scratch” Linux course. A quick intro to the popular operating system.
The “start from scratch” Linux course.
Ever considered a career in Linux? Or, stuck in a dead-end job and exploring options for a career change? NDG Linux Unhatched allows students to wade into the shallow end of Linux, the back-end operating system used by global titans such as Facebook, Google, Microsoft, NASA, Tesla, Amazon and more.
Graduates walk away with a clear understanding of whether Linux is for them or not, without having to commit to more than 8 total hours of self-paced learning. To ensure you don’t get stuck, you’ll be guided step-by-step through a series of hands-on virtual machine activities.
The course aligns well with the Linux exam objectives found on the CompTIA A+ Certification. After this course, we suggest taking either NDG Linux Essentials or NDG Linux I.
Prerequisite: Completion of CCNA 6.0 curriculum is assumed.
- Basic installation and configuration of Linux software.
- Understand the basics of the Linux Command Line Interface (CLI).
- Interact with, and become familiar with the Linux virtual machine.
- Determine if Linux is for you or not.
Course: Linux Essentials
Duration: 70 hours
Audience: Build upon your existing Linux skills and prepare for certification.
Build upon your Linux knowledge and get closer to job ready skills.
As one of the most successful open source collaborations, Linux has evolved into the most reliable operating system on the planet. It’s used for embedded systems to virtually all supercomputers for a good reason. Nearly every IT job requires some Linux knowledge.
NDG Linux Essentials quickly builds your Linux knowledge and prepares you for the LPI Linux Essentials Professional Development Certificate (PDC), your proof to employers that you know Linux! Many concepts in this course are covered at a more demanding pace in NDG Linux I.
- Acquire open source concepts and progressively master Linux commands.
- Understand how Linux is used and the basics of its command line.
- Become skilled at using the Linux virtual machine for experiments.
- Prepare for LPI Linux Essentials Professional Development Certificate (PDC).
Course: Get Connected
Duration: 30 hours
Audience: Learn how to use a computer, connect devices and access search, email, and social media.
Cover your digital basics.
The digital world is upon us both personally and professionally. Having a better understanding of the Internet, computers and social media can be a big help toward acquiring digital skills. And, once you have these skills there are many more possibilities opened to you as far as career advancement. Learn how to use a computer, connect devices and access search, email, and social media.
Enjoy course content that is very user-friendly and interactive with lots of illustrations! No previous knowledge is needed for this introductory course.
- Create accounts for Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube.
- Understand computer networking and how to browse and search the Internet.
- Identify common problems and implement solutions.
- Become familiar with Microsoft Windows and how to work with files and folders.
Course: Programming Essentials in Python
Duration: 70 hours
Audience: Start here to learn Python, the language for IoT.
Learn Python, the language for IoT.
How great would it be to write your own computer program? Or, design a web or desktop application that millions of people could enjoy? Both are a possibility if you learn how to code in Python. Python is the very versatile, object-oriented programming language used by startups and tech giants, Google, Facebook, Dropbox and IBM. Python is also recommended for aspiring young developers who are interested in pursuing careers in Security, Networking and Internet-of-Things. Once you complete this course, you are ready to take the PCAP – Certified Associate in Python programming.
Programming Essentials in Python is a two-course series that covers all the basics of programming in Python, as well as general computer programming concepts and techniques, and the object-oriented approach. No prior knowledge of programming is required
The Python Essentials course series is divided into two parts:
- Python Essentials 1 (PE1): BASICS, consisting of four modules;
- Python Essentials 2 (PE2): INTERMEDIATE, consisting of four modules.
Each student has access to hands-on practice materials, labs, quizzes, and tests to learn how to utilize the skills and knowledge gained on the course and interact with some real-life programming tasks and situations.
Students who complete the course will be able to accomplish coding tasks related to the basics of programming in the Python language, and to understand the fundamental notions and techniques used in object-oriented programming.
- Problem-solve using an algorithmic approach.
- Understand programmer’s work in the software development process.
- Gain knowledge on how a program is executed in a computer environment.
- Prepare for the PCAP–Python Certified Associate Programmer Certification.